Sunday, June 17, 2012

So much for VCE being the be all and end all.

So last night I had an interesting dream....

Somehow whenever I hear that sentence, I either die a little bit inside to prepare for the boredom that will surely ensue as someone describes their subconscious antics to me in extreme detail or wait for a boy to tell me he dreamt about my mum (why would anyone think it's ok to tell me that? - refer to "forever alone" sentence one)....but then maybe that's just my past experience

But none the less, last night I had a dream that I was fiddling with one of my teeth and I accidentally pulled it out - and then one by one started working on all the others. Now this is either because I am going to be a toothless old freak or because I have most certainly failed my German exam and the stress of failure is making me insane - but more likely I'm just going to be Madame McGumster from age 20 onwards...

On Thursday I sat the TestDaf, which is an entrance exam to prove your German is good enough to study in Germany, but more accurately - it is a test to suck everyone's will to live. I had the fortune to be sitting this exam during the European Cup and therefore a good half of the questions were somehow related to soccer. Now it's not that I don't enjoy soccer like every other European here, but I don't know the rules and if there is no alcohol involved in having to sit through a game of it then count me out... To add to that, the written part of the exam asked me to write an essay about whether there were too many english expressions in the german language, and if that was also the case in my mother-tongue...which just happens to be English... Well I guess from the looks of it usually the people who sit this exam are eastern-European or Asian, so it was a fair question for anyone else in the room, but for me all I could write was "well... English is the main language spoken in Australia so....it's not really an issue if we use too many english words and expressions in English...." 10/10 right there Giorgia, you go girl! Not. Then I did some awkward explanation of the slang we use in Australia being different than in the US and GB and therefore easily misunderstood before retiring to the corner to have a cry about my impending failure notice.

So now I am now preparing for the year of prep-school I have to go to to be able to study in Germany. I had to do it regardless of whether I passed the TestDaf or not but I was just hoping I'd be able to ask the Uni Officials really nicely if I could skip that year and go straight into uni....seems I can't, but I liked my optimism. So in February I will move up to Berlin and study there for a year (and hope that if I ask really nicely that they let me finish in 6 months) and then start to study, but for now I am planning trips to Spain, Finland and Greece - I figure I might as well have fun before high school starts up again -

- And here I thought all this uni pain would end with finishing year twelve...

Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment