Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Geil oder GEIL.....


Ok so these last few days have been a trying time! I love being here don't get me wrong but at dinner last night I nearly slept in the melted camembert and I sense that would a) Been a great photo opportunity, b) Burnt my face, c) Not made me feel any better or d) All of the above! Oh yes, jet lag burns, I swear I'm barely functional by 7:30 but the Sikora's maintain that I must stay up if I want it to get better....they hate me!


Other than that though it's great. I switch randomly between english and german just to keep the Germans on their toes. Shame their english is so good, grade 13 is studying "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde and make our Literature class look special needs and the year 10's were openly discussing bulemia and bi-polar disorder...in english. It makes me hate on them, but then I remember how helpful it is when I forget what I'm saying and speak Ginglish and they understand. Like today when I said to Laura "Kann ich bitte go to the shops so I can some socks kaufen?" then we laughed....


So I found out today that "Geil" which all the Germans say, is not simply awesome/cool, but also Horny. So when they say "Ich bin geil" it has several meanings....that makes me uncomfortable considering the boy who sits behind me at school says it...a lot.


So this weekend I'm going shopping with my new-found friends, they have all studied abroad which becomes a subject of amusement when they all have different english-speaking accents: American, Canadian, British etc. then we shall go clubbing in a few weeks, not sure what German clubbing is like but I guess I'm about to learn!


Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment