Monday, January 9, 2012

Touring Rome Like a boss.

This weekend Mama Bear and I flew to Rome to spend three days in Italy's capital. Despite my horror at this  holiday/photo opportunity being booked just days after I hacked at my fringe leaving it in a slightly too short and lopsided mess that really didn't need to be photographed we had an awesome time, seeing the Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum and all those other things you are required to see when visiting the city but in the interests of keeping this post short I'll just give you the highlights -

1. Day one we were immortalised as the only two people who could possibly get lost in the Vatican city - all .44km squared of it, unfortunately our Epic Fail did not end there as we went on to try to enter St Peter's Basilica on one of Catholicism's biggest days - as if the huge crowds and police everywhere wasn't sign enough that it was closed, it took a tour guide laughing at us to make us realise that the Pope's service on the screen wasn't some tourist attraction - it was live.

2. Mum fancied herself an amateur photographer in the Colosseum as we proceeded to try and take amusing photos with the statues - much to the horror of those around us, not that we even noticed the existence of another human being until a rude american man woke us from our photographic daydream by loudly noting that he 'wasn't judging.' Knob.


3. The place we stayed in was in the Jewish Ghetto and so we used the massive Synagogue to guide us home each day, not that we ever really found it amongst all the other tall religious buildings that Rome is filled with, but our adventures home often led us to discover some pretty awesome things like the Roman pyramid and St. Cecilia's creepy 1500 year old mummified body - just to name a few.


4. Epic creepy waiters. I often eat at restaurants or cafes purely because the waiters are hot, it's shallow and thoughtless but...I'm a teenager - what do you expect from me? So we ate at this tiny little restaurant where I was given half cooked pasta and consistently snubbed by our hot waiter in favour of my mother - who is old enough to be his mother too - I was offended. I mean I get that teenage boys fancy themselves a bit of Stiffler's mum but not in front of girls THEIR OWN age. Broken, I was left with my 'surprise desert,' and by surprise I mean that the menu was in Italian and we just took a rough shot at ordering something delicious and failed, instead ending up with a gooey mess that tasted almost as delicious as it looked - which is not saying much.

Well there was an insane amount to see and we just about managed it all, but with a coin in the Trevi fountain and a predetermined wish to return to the home of the Romans we will definitely be back. Camera in hand and in a bid to overcome the language barrier and avoid gross deserts- hopefully a bit more italian in mind.

Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment