Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yeah Nah.


So today is Australia day. I did a speech in the year 10 english class to inform them all about Australia, turns out I know nothing...

When was Australia inhabited? Ummm.....1771.... 77? 88? Oops....turns out I should've paid attention to my OWN history instead of just listening in when the European history started up!

I then blabbed on about ABSOLUTELY nothing for 20min. Sports, culture, Aboriginals, animals. All talked about and yet I'm pretty sure I made no sense! I tried to explain cricket...failed. How can you explain the most boring game on earth and try to make it sound ok? You can't. I drew pictures and after five minutes realised that even I didn't know the rules. Then AFL and Netball had to be explained.....


I handed around sheets of Aussie slang and pictures of animals, most of it wasn't real slang...I just really want to hear a German say "Fair suck at the Sav!"

Animals were easy enough. No one knew what an Echidna was. My description was "creature with spikey things that hurt you if you try to pick it up." Somehow I don't think I'll be a zoo keeper anytime soon.

Then I got to the national anthem. I'm so embarrassed! Not only was it off-key/pitchy as hell, but I didn't know the words! I improved between lines that I did know and then just kind of spoke bits and pieces between....awkward. Im pretty sure Laura'd have a better rendition than whatever I achieved, and she's not Aussie!

So it was pretty much an epic fail, in future I'll organise myself better but I did make everyone laugh at how unorganised I was, and how little I actually knew...better get to googling my own country huh?!?

Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment