Thursday, December 30, 2010

A funny thing happened at the snow.


So the whole family went skiing for three days. Annika didn't come and Sonja didn't really ski so I guess that first sentence is false but none the less! Here are my theories on skiing and I've cross-referenced them with Hans' thoughts (what I think he'd say) and reality...enjoy!


Skiing

In theory: Ski slowly so you can maintain control and don't injure yourself or anyone around you, and don't look down because the fear of heights will cause a panic attack.

Hans' Thoughts: Teach Giorgia how to ski safely without hurting herself or anyone, making sure to stop constantly mid-slope so Giorgia gets a good look down the side of the cliff she's about to ski down.

Reality: Was too proud to listen and instead skiied too fast to see the oncoming jump...not that I realised it was a jump until I was in mid-air! Also had a panic attack everytime I looked down and at one point a tantrum ON THE SLOPE because I couldn't bring myself to ski down.


Stopping

In theory: Snow plow or parallel ski to a stop, a safe distance from other people.

Hans' Thoughts: Just don't hit me.

Reality: Only stop if you've hit something....or someone. Might as well take a few people down with you, they make a comfortable landing!


Catching lifts

In theory: Watch you feet at all times when on T-bar lifts (schlepplifts for Germans) and make a quick and safe exit before you hit the wall at the end of the lift.

Hans' Thoughts: I should go with Giorgia to make sure she makes it out ok.

Reality: "I can do it!" Gets distracted and forgets to exit the lift and instead gets the t-bar caught on her leg and dragged up with it...finally becomes unhooked and slides backwards before falling over. The lift operator looked disgusted....he stopped the lift and watched for a few minutes whilst I tried in vain to get up until Laura with her mighty German strength yanked me up.


Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment