Friday, December 24, 2010

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas.


So today it's Christmas. German Christmas, not the real Christmas....hehe.


Anyway so after I stared blankly at the roof for two hours during the Church service after realising that I was never going to understand, we went home. We ate melted cheese with potatoes and salami and other stuff in it and then listened to a Christmas Concert by Laura played on the flute.


At some point Laura started handing out presents. I'm not sure how she became the designated Christmas Elf, but none the less... Anyway I got lots of German novelties like flags and keyrings, money, a digital photo keyring that'll be great for forcing people to look atz my pictures of Germany and lots of other things. I'll soon be wearing my Ohm Gymnasium t-shirt daily, and one of my two new scarves and whilst I'm at it....the ring Andrew sent me.


It was pretty funny actually. It was on the arm of the teddy that he also sent me, and I almost missed it! Then just went bright red when the family started making engagement comments and when I found out it was too big to fit even on my thumb...going to have to fix that!


Anyway thought I'd mention just three others epic fails of mine:


1. When I couldn't remember the word for tears (trennen) and couldn't get my message accross to Laura and Annika....The best I could do was "Augensaft" (Eye Juice) they laughed so hard there was eye juice everywhere!

2. Today when translating Pick-up lines into German such as "Sooooo do you come here often?" (Kommst du oft hierher?) and "I've lost my virginity, can I have yours?" I epic failed. I forgot that JUNGFRAULICHKEIT is virginity, jungfrau is virgin. So I translated it as "I've lost my virgin, can I have yours?" to which Annika promptly replied....what does yours look like?

3. Today I also learnt the difference between "In dir" and "In dich" with reference to being in love. Whilst asking what "I'm in love with you" is in German. Annika stressed the difference between the two....Both translate as "In you" in english, but in German it seems that one sounds more like "I'm in love with being in you" than "I'm in love with you." Good thing she explained that one early!


Merry Christmas everyone.



Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment