Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Quirk of Fate.


So today I feel monstrously screwed over by VCAA and nothing interesting happened so instead I'll write about things in Germany that I find different. It's not so much gross generalisations but then again....it kinda is.


1. Germans buy their tissues in those little "Handy-to-go" packs, you know the ones with like 10 tissues in them that you put in your pocket? Haven't seen a tissue box the entire time I've been here.

2. Germans have the longest legs of any race I've ever seen. Darwin's theory suggests it's necessary for their survival...I'm not understanding that. It must make it mighty difficult for them to decide who to choose for Germany's next top model. Even the short people have legs up to my shoulders.

3. Germans don't wear makeup. Well sometimes, but only for going out and for day time only mascara and MAYBE eyeliner. I like that actually, haven't seen a 12-year old with her stripper face on in weeks.

4. Germans don't do tap water. They buy their water, mostly because they tend to only drink carbonated mineral water (soda water). I can't stand soda water and am not such a big fan of their apple juice/soda water mixer either, but each to their own I guess.

5. Germans make a big effort not to laugh at my poor grammar. Admittedly they immediately then switch to English which is always horrifying, especially when the year fives do it seamlessly. Then I have to mutter something awkwardly about "I muss Deutsch lernen" and they go back, mid sentence: No problem. Hating.

6. Germans do actually use the term "Wünderbar" not sure if it's a u or a ü....

7. Germans say ok just as much as any other country does. Which made me laugh the first time I heard it used because Frau Tymms tells us that it's not a German term and we shouldn't use it, that being said, neither is Ciao but that is said to no end here too!

8. Germans backyards are not THAT small, despite popular belief. I swear when Laura was in Australia she was so surprised at all the space, I don't find Germany all that crowded at all, apart from the narrow roads that is but the whole town is surrounded by fields so I would never say it was claustrophobic or anything.

9. German houses seem to be bigger than Australian houses. I've been to a few houses and they're all built the same inside and look different outside but they seem to have a whole lot of bedrooms for some full on family expansion, lots of bathrooms for....what bathrooms are for, plus the living room and kitchen and cellar and attic. They all (well the ones I've been in) have the booth couch surrounding the table. Like at restaurant or in caravans? So much more comfortable! Only thing is I find the idea of an attic creepy, all the horror movies and such make me stay right away!

10. German TV is quite funny. Like I've said it's all is either dubbed American shows, Casting shows or trash. Fantastic. However channels like MTV are lazy and instead of dubbing them they just subtitle all the shows. So Annika and Laura will be reading the subtitles and I'll just listen to it normally....weird.


On a side note the Girl on Farmer wants a wife, the pregnant one? Well her man gave her a necklace before she left, (I guess they go home for a few weeks to make their choice about moving in etc.) and when she met him again, he said "Ummm so whilst you were gone I had a short relationship with another girl and well, seems I'm going to be a parent too!"


I think I was still laughing when I went to bed...Is that bad?

Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment